Monday, August 1, 2011

"Weng Weng is Agent OO" - a komik by Ronald Tan (2010)


In October 2010 I met Filipino komik artist Ronald Tan, who at the time was finishing a project based on the life of Weng Weng. Ronald had contacted me several months before and asked permission to use my research - I said be my guest, and while you're at it, give Weng Weng's only surviving brother Celing de la Cruz a call and tell him about the project.

[From back left, anti-clockwise] Ronald Tan, Celing de la Cruz, me, and Celing's wife Editha

June 2011, I'm back in Manila, and Ronald hands me the finished komik which had won second place in a local comics' awards. We then drove to Celing's house to personally hand him the komik, a printout of my Weng Weng research, and a DVD copy of Machete Maidens Unleashed. I suspect Celing realizes just how widespread Wengmania really is!

Ronald's first printing has long since sold out, but he is planning on a second run in the next few months. In the meantime, here's the komik in its entirety - please enjoy!





















1 comment:

  1. Hello!
    I'm a big fans of Weng Weng.
    I can translate this comic and publish it - for free - in Italy in a underground comix magazine?
    dirtyfreak@zoho.com

    ReplyDelete